SITE VISIT SCHEDULED : 13th november 2016
Mijas mountain is a fascinating natural sea window point over the Costa del Sol. The mountain range crops out extraordinary as a huge rocky outcrop of pure whitish marbles which were mined by the romans in early past times.
Also the mountain range hides extraordinary aquifers and water resources to supply the population.
Some years ago, a deadly fire endangered the natural environment and even the village, as a result a significant amounts of pine-tree population as other plants were destroyed.
The mountain is formed by pure dolomitic marble as a result of intense regional metamorphism. Thus the bulk material represents a significant natural resource related to construction sector, art stone and even jewelry as per the presence of pink and reddish spinel.
PURPOSES OF THE ROUTE
We challenge the following points;
- The practice of hiking on a high montain range, a natural window over the Mediterranean sea.
- Geological observations along the rocks, minerals, quarries and its related bedrock aquifer.
- The study of gemmy minerals, like spinels
- Etnographics mentions related to caleros to obtain "white lime" named locally .
- Aspectos etnográficos como los caleros para obtención de la cal.
- General 4 € (Entrada al Museo)
- Reducida 3 € (mayores 65 años, desempleados y niños 7 a 12 años)
- Excursiones 6 € (incluye visita guiada y documentación)