site visit: 4th december 2016
The Llanos de la Plata site is located between Alhaurín de la Torre and Alhaurín el Grande municipality boundaries, just to the north of Mijas mountains. The geological unit is mainly composed of debris colluvium overlying banded grey-bluish marbles.
This zone as the adjacent Sierra de Mijas is very rich in veins of lead, silver and zinc embedded inside the marbles (host rock), which were mined between XIX and XX centuries. The mined ores, provided during sometime a rich product to the smelting furnace "La Mezquita", located just on the neighbourhood to the east site.
PURPOSES OF THE VISIT :
The main purposes are;
- We will make notes and remarks over the relief and the site location
- We will note the texture of marbles as important industrial ores.
- We will visit the washing plant and main buildings related to the company which mined the ores.
- We will observe the lead-silver veins inside the marbles .
- We will visit the ancient "boliche" (local Spanish designation) named , and the smelting furnace building of las Mezquitas.
Consulta aquí las NORMAS PARA LA ASISTENCIA A LA ACTIVIDAD »
- General 4 € (Entrada al Museo)
- Reducida 3 € (mayores 65 años, desempleados y niños 7 a 12 años)
- Excursiones 6 € (incluye visita guiada y documentación)