SCHEDULED ACTIVITY: 2th October El Peñoncillo Mine
The history of El Peñoncillo mine is closely related to the steel manufacturer business man Manuel Agustin Heredia, and his clear determination to promote the former industry in Málaga during early XIX century.
That remarkable iron mining and metal processing activity had an extraordinary influence in our past society which represented the origin of solid industry in Málaga since 1826, refered to advanced melting technology and high-smelting furnace . After Heredia, a english company established in London in 1872 named “The Marbella Iron Ore Ltd Co”, took the managing of the mine who built up a railway layout to the Marbella beach. That company traded with the spanish iron ore, exporting the bulk material to UK.
PURPOSE OF THE VISIT
The purposes of the site visit are several:
- We will visit the ancient open pit which currently is found in very bad conditions, as a recognition of losing heritage.
- We will remark the environment and historical settings of the mine
- We will collect some iron samples (magnetite,pyrite...)
Read here the RULES FOR ASSISTANCE ACTIVITY »
TICKETS AND PRICES
- General (Museum visit) 4€
- Reduced rate 3€ (retired persons more than 65, unemployed, and childs from 7 to 12 years old)
- Site visits, excursions 6€ (Guided tour, english spoken)